As the old (and completely untrue) saying goes, "It's bad luck if a black cat crosses your path." On Friday the 13th (and Halloween) the negative hype around black cats and their bringing "bad luck" only intensifies. Unfortunately, this baseless negative association with bad luck can mean that black cats are less likely to be adopted than cats with different fur colors.
With millions of homeless cats in the U.S., many of them black-furred, we think it’s about time for this silly superstition to skedaddle. In fact, did you know that in many cultures across the world, black cats are actually considered good omens, whether it be blessing a ship for safe passage or bringing good luck to a bride on her wedding day? So this Friday the 13th, we're bringing you some lucky black cats and celebrating our inkiest of felines looking completely adorable!
1. This little kitty has a LOT to say about people calling her "bad luck"!
2. How can something this cute be bad luck?
3. This lovely lady wants to show off her delicate murder mittens:
4. These miniature voids have the CUTEST bleps.
5. They can change colors in the sun!
6. I mean, just listen to her tiny little squeaks and peeps, blessing you with good luck!
7. Part squid, part cat, all cute!
8. How about another squeaky unique meow to bless your day?
9. World's smallest man in 1956, Henry Behrens, dancing with his black cat!
10. Avo-CAT-o (alternatively, avogato!)
11. To be or not to be? Cat is the question.
12. How can something this cute be bad luck? Simple: It can't be!
13. This Le Chat Noir knows he's king of the couch.