As the old (and completely untrue) saying goes, "It's bad luck if a black cat crosses your path." On Friday the 13th (and Halloween) the negative hype around black cats and their bringing "bad luck" only intensifies. Unfortunately, this baseless negative association with bad luck can mean that black cats are less likely to be adopted than cats with different fur colors.
With millions of homeless cats in the U.S., many of them black-furred, we think it’s about time for this silly superstition to skedaddle. In fact, did you know that in many cultures across the world, black cats are actually considered good omens, whether it be blessing a ship for safe passage or bringing good luck to a bride on her wedding day? So this Friday the 13th, we're bringing you some lucky black cats and celebrating our inkiest of felines looking completely adorable!
1. This little kitty has a LOT to say about people calling her "bad luck"!
2. How can something this cute be bad luck?
3. This lovely lady wants to show off her delicate murder mittens:
4. These miniature voids have the CUTEST bleps.
5. They can even change colors in the sun!
6. Their desire for snacks is all too relatable:
7. Some people claim that black cats aren't photogenic. We beg to differ.
8. How about a squeaky meow to bless your day?
9. And just for some added lightheartedness: the world's smallest man in 1956, Henry Behrens, dancing with his black cat!
10. And of course you can't go wrong with a classic cat pun: Avo-CAT-o (alternatively, avogato!)
11. To be or not to be? Cat is the question.
12. How can something this cute be bad luck? Simple: It can't be!
13. This Le Chat Noir knows he's king of the couch.